Friday 6 April 2012

Warming a House

It was hinted to me a couple of months ago, that there would be a housewarming gift waiting for me here. I was told it was three times bigger than expected and packed with utmost care with bubble wrap and styrofoam blobs. Of course that sent me guessing, and I easily ruled out anything where size made a difference (otherwise it would've been sent back) and anything robust enough not to need such packing. That would be among other things, most machines and books. I thought it unlikely to be a statue or some such, since I've well articulated my dislike for that kind, but I couldn't really think of anything non-decorative that would fit the criteria.

Well, when I opened the box, I found this.




It opens up into this.


It's a hand carved Malaysian book rest, likely intended for religious books. It's from the 1700's or older. Purchased from a private collection in Leiden, Holland.
Even my wildest guesses didn't include something this nice. The carvings are intricate and beautiful and the entire book rest has suffered only minor damage. The legs have two dragons carved on each and the upper halves contain an elaborate floral pattern surrounded with small human figures (each different) and big rosettes in the corners.

I'm intending to use it for my dictionaries, mainly my Oxford Thesaurus which is certainly big enough to warrant its own book rest. To be honest, that book is probably as close as it gets to a religious text for me.

Because I'm sure none of you are yet sick of seeing it, here are some photos of the details.


A person with long pigtails and what appears to be a massive codpiece. Never let it be said that Malaysian woodcarvers of yore lacked a sense of humour.



This one looks like a dancer. He too seems to have a well-defined codpiece. The corner rosettes have the most obvious damage, as their edges have broken off.



This little fellow is probably praying or studying or some such, but to my eyes he looks like a gardener. After all, he's crouched down and surrounded by flowers.



And here, vans more mit veelink (excuse my Überwaldian), the book rest with my thesaurus. I didn't think that book would ever look small, but it does now.

2 comments:

  1. Uskomaton, unbelievable :OOO!

    (I do not know should I write in finnish or in english here?)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ihan kummin vain :) Tekstit on enkuksi ihan vain siksi, kun tunnen enemmän ihmisiä jotka eivät osaa suomea, kuin niitä, jotka eivät osaa enkkua. Ja siksi, kun en pitempiä tekstejä jaksa kirjoittaa kahdella kielellä.

      Mutta niin, tykkään kovasti itsekin, uskomaton on aika sopiva sana :)

      Delete