Tuesday 17 April 2012

Fun in the Garden Bathroom

So spring is well on it's way to sprunging here and that means one thing. Seeds. I finally got some seedling soil, good tools and half a phone book to make pots out of. I originally wanted to do the sowing outside, but it was cold and drizzly and altogether miserable there, so I did the work in the bathroom instead. Hooray for painter's plastic is all I'm saying.

This is what I started with. 20L of soil, a pile of paper pots, trays for the pots, seeds, tools, gloves and the floor safely covered in plastic.


First the tomatoes. So far so good.


First set of tomatoes planted, cultivars "Black Russian", "Gemini" F1 and "vinbärstomat" (small berries). And I just run out of pots. Bugger.



No matter, I made more pots. Wanted to make 60 but run out of phone book by 57. Damn.
(If anyone wants to know how I make pots, look here.)
Second tray from the top, cucumbers (F1 "New Pioneer" and "Double Yield") and brussel sprouts ("Long Island"). The brussel sprouts are a completely new acquintance, I've never tried to grow them and don't personally know anyone who has either. That should get interesting.



I found more pots! Yay! That meant I didn't have to choose between basils and flowers, I could sow both! Third from the top is basils, large leaved "Genovese", red "New Guinea" and lemonbasil. Plenty of seeds left in each, I'll get to sow more of these as the summer progresses.
Bottom row (peat pots) is flowers, 12 pots of Ipomoea tricolor and purpurea (=päivänsini ja aitoelämänlanka, in English morning glories ), a seed mix of 5 different cultivars with different coulour schemes (yes, I went a bit nuts at the seed shelves, want to make something of it?) and 12 pots of Mina/Ipomoea lobata, Miinanköynnös for the Finns.
This is the whole lot, the trays hold 30+30+27+24 pots, making 114 pots alltogether, 2-3 seeds each, with most of the 20L of soil gone. Sounds like much? Well...



... this lot is still to go. The pile actually looks smaller in the photo.



This is where a lot of the first lot will go, the basils in the flowerbed on the foreground and the tomatoes agains the brick wall at the back. The cucumbers will get a cold frame that will be built for them and the vines will be planted against the garden fence facing the road (to the right of the photo). No idea yet where to put the brussel sprouts.


I know I'm late (again) with at least the tomatoes, but unfortunately it couldn't be helped this year. I'm hoping the tomatoes get a good enough start to produce more than a couple of fruit. I've been repeatedly told that one needs a greenhouse for tomatoes here, but I've repeatedly told back that I and my mother both have grown them outdoors in Finland without such contraptions with a perfectly decent success.
Next in order are the rest of the herbs, Indian cresses (Tropaeolum Majus, koristekrassi) and building cold frames for lettuces and cucumbers. I'm hoping the Ipomoeas and Tropaeolums both grow well enough to become self-maintaining, ie they'll produce enough seeds to grow again in the coming years. But we'll see. I'm not exactly averse to replanting my Tropaeolums every spring... after all it's an edible flower that likes poor soil and grows like mad. What's not to like?
Now, if only I could get my hands on another phone book...

No comments:

Post a Comment